Route 31
Ringoes
County: Hunterdon
This was a pretty standard, traditional diner with unusually young waitresses. I ordered the pot roast dinner special with mashed potatoes, corn, soup (onion), salad (French dressing) and jello. Ali had the chicken dijon dinner special with artichokes and mushrooms over linguini with soup (onion), salad (ranch) and rice pudding. Alex had a cheeseburger deluxe.
During the course of teaching Alex the difference between cheeseburgers and California cheeseburgers, regular vs. deluxe, he came across an interesting phenomenon. A California burger includes lettuce, tomato and onion usually while a burger does not. A deluxe burger adds lettuce, tomato and french fries. If you get a deluxe California burger it's the same thing except it costs almost a dollar more. It doesn't make any sense really.
My Rating: Atmosphere - 7, Food - 7
Ali's Rating: Atmosphere - 7, Food - 6
Alex's Rating: Atmosphere - 7, Food - 8
Today, we headed north for two diner visits. I recognized a lot of the areas, I think from camping trips when I was younger.
Route 94
Blairstown
County: Warren
This was a rural area. As we pulled into town, two people on horseback passed us and hitched their horses up at the liquor store.
I ordered two eggs over well ($4.70) which came with toast and homefries and I also had coffee ($0.80). Ali had a short stack of pancakes ($2.65) and coffee. Alex had an Italian omelet ($5.75) which came with french fries and toast.
Our waitress did not ask us what type of toast we wanted so we were served white. This was the first time we were served without anyone asking us what we wanted.
My Rating: Atmosphere - 8, Food - 7
Ali's Rating: Atmosphere - 7, Food - 7
Alex's Rating: Atmosphere - 7, Food - 6
Route 206 North
Branchville
County: Sussex
More driving on very rural roads of northwestern NJ. We made it to the Five Star at 2:09, which was lucky for us as they are open only 6am-3pm. This was another original style diner with just 1 car featuring a counter a 6-8 booths.
I had a slice of apple pie ($2.95) and coffee ($1.00). Ali had an apple turnover ($2.00) and coffee. Alex had chocolate pudding ($2.25).
There was some disappointment here due to the fact that apple was the only pie available even though the menu specifically stated they have lemon merengue and coconut custard. Our waitress also delivered Alex a coffee even though he told her he didn't want any and they didn't have rice pudding (a diner staple), his first choice.
My Rating: Atmosphere - 7, Food - 7
Ali's Rating: Atmosphere - 7, Food - 6
Alex's Rating: Atmosphere - 6, Food - 6
No comments:
Post a Comment