Sunday, December 03, 2006

First Spirit of Newark Weekend

Friday night was my first meeting with some of the Spirit of Newark staff and Saturday was the corps open house.

The staff meeting was Chateau of Spain restaurant off Broad Street in Newark. As I searched for parking spot, I realized how far from Hillsborough I was. Once inside the restaurant, I searched for the other staff member, none of whom I'd met before. I felt all eyes on me as I walked through the restaurant, the only white person in sight.

On Saturday, there was a pretty good turnout, probably about 40 kids. Of the 40, 38 were black, 1 was white and 1 was hispanic. Most of the kids come from Newark and are truly inner-city. I think this could turn out to be an extremely rewarding experience for me as a teacher and as a person. The students in my student teaching experience that came from the city of Wilmington were the most rewarding to work with.

No comments: